Hang Buom Street

Hang Buom Street Hanoi was located near the junction of the To Lich and Red Rivers. Prior to 1945, the street was known by the French name “Rue des Voiles” but after 1954 its name was changed to Hang Buom Street.

In the past, different kinds of boat sails which were made from homemade canvas or rush were sold on the Street. It has also been the main residential place of the Chinese people since the 17th century.

Due to the favourable geographical condition, people in Ha Khau Ward lived on trades dependent on the water. They produced different kinds of bags, sacks, trellis-matting from rattan and rush which were transported by boats to other places.

For a long time in Thang Long Capital, the feudal court had rules on residence and the place of residence for foreigners, mainly the Chinese. They were allowed to live in Dien Hung Ward, also called Duong Nhan Ward and Viet Dong Street, according to the books “Du dia chi” (Geography book) by Nguyen Trai and “Dai Nam nhat thong chi” (Essays on the United Great Vietnam) respectively. Thus, Hang Buom was not the residential place of the Chinese. They resided in Viet Dong Street (present-day Hang Ngang Street ) and then, due to a growing population, began encroaching on surrounding streets, such as Hang Bo, Phuc Kien (present-day Lan Ong Street ) and Hang Buom. Due to its location near the wharf, very favourable for exchanging goods with other localities, the area became the main residential place for the Chinese.

On Hang Buom Street stands famous Bach Ma Temple at House No. 76. The Temple worships Long Do God who was one of the four important guardian gods of Thang Long Capital. The Temple was built facing the South-east with a triumphal arch, a resting hall, an altar in the first worshipping section and an altar in the middle worshipping section and harem.

Today, many confectionaries have mushroomed on the street that has become busy and bustling around the clock.